I started riding BMX at my local skatepark when I was 13 years old. Initially my parents weren’t sure about this new “hobby”, but they warmed up to it. The truth is, riding skate parks (on your BMX, scooter, skateboard etc) is as good a sport for kids as anything, albeit a little bit unconventional. So, with this in mind, these are my top 5 Reasons to take Kids to the Skatepark:
1. It gets you physically active. Like any sport, you can’t do it sitting on the couch. Action Sports get any kid up and moving, which improves the overall health and wellbeing of any child. They also encourages the development of good basic skills like coordination, balance and strength.
2. It combines Athleticism and Creativity in a way unlike any other sport. Most people think of sport as Athletic and Art/Music as creative. I think Action Sports offers both. As mentioned above, it aids physical development, but the very nature of the sports encourages a level of personal creativity not offered in traditional “stick & ball” sports. There are no rules, no set way to do things. You can create your own style, invent a trick, be different to your friends and leave your own impression.
3. It builds self confidence. Trying a trick, working on it relentlessly, and eventually landing it is a great feeling. It's an accomplishment and helps kids develop faith in their own ability. The development is as clear as day - last week I couldn’t do that, now I can.
4. It teaches calculated risk. Like any sport, there are risks involved in Action Sports. But, unlike say football (where the risk is mostly out of your control (that other guy just decided to stomp on your head), the risks are largely within the control of the participant. You learn to start small and work your way up to things. Bit by bit, your skill set grows, and so does your tolerance for risk. No one starts off on a 10ft ramp, they start on a 2ft ramp and work their way up. By the time they use the 10ft ramp, its no longer a huge risk, just a natural progression of what you’ve learned already.
5. You’ll meet great people and make friends for life!
Skateparks are social places. People like to hang out there, they like to see others progress and everyone gets stoked on each others riding.<
One of things we’re super proud of at Rampfest is the vibe of our park - its friendly, fun and we don’t take ourselves too seriously. If you’re new, chances are pretty good someone will say hi. If you ask for advice, 99 times out of 100 you’ll get some great tips off a total stranger, just because they’re keen to help you. You’ll make friends at the skatepark and you’ll become great friends quickly as you learn together, push each other and progress. Overall, once you get started in Action Sports, you’ll have a great time.
Our whole team at Rampfest has been riding most of our lives - and we love what we do! If you need some help getting started, check our First Timers Guide
or our Learn to Ride Coaching Clinics
as a great way to get started. Or - if you’ve got any other questions or comments, feel free to get in touch and ask away!